Pa Marx:
I often realize just how many things there are that I take for granted. My dad is no different. Even with the curfews, the strict rules on the car, the "shouldn't you be studying" in the middle of the Friends episode, and the sarcastic remarks pertaining to missing material in my outfits that cost him so much money, the man truly is irreplaceable.
Where else would I have learned about parma ham wrapped around honey dew melon, or how to start a fire by torching the entire bag of charcoal (something I have done on occasion to the delight of my Baghdad friends), or the intense pleasure one can derive from the weirdest of pets including tortoises and obnoxious little dogs. Who else would I have trusted to call that fateful night when I knew my date was too intoxicated to drive me home from a party, and where oh where would I get my daily "where the "*&^%$#@" are you" emails if he doesn't hear from me every morning before 10am (at least while I'm stationed in Baghdad).
And where would I have witnessed with my own eyes an entire reconstructive surgery on a small Venter trailer (a common addiction in middle class South African holiday-making families) who has certainly outlived itself by at least 10 years thanks to the dedication, perseverance and good soldering skills of my favorite engineer. Not to mention the soup - but please, do me a favor, and never ask him for the recipe, for it is always the same "damn, this one's so good, I really WISH I wrote this one down".
Most importantly where would I have learned about respect, hard work and integrity but from my pa. He remains (yes, with Chris a close second) the smartest man I know (and in his case damn handy too - there is not a thing he cannot fix). But more over, despite his own success he remains the humblest of anyone I know (judged by the 10-year old Toyota Camry he parks next to his colleagues' 7-series and SL500s, driven to begin with only because he gave his beloved 1987 Toyota Corolla to a former colleague in need).
Pa, you are an inspiration, a blessing, a hero, you taught me how important it is to appreciate nature and the struggles of those less fortunate than I. I love you and respect you hope to make you proud too. (Come 'on, at least I have a "real" job now... hehe)
Gelukkige Vadersdag
Dogter Marx
Sunday, June 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment