Saturday, May 13, 2006

Back in Baghdad

Flew back from Amman yesterday. Abdullah (my now somewhat permanent driver in Amman) picked me up at the hotel and we had a pleasant drive and discussion about the peaceful mixed Christian/Muslim community he lives in outside Amman.

Flight was fine, same South African crew as always. When they took my backpack on the tarmac for being too large for the overhead, I noticed the guy's name was Afrikaans so whispered to him to be careful "ek het vier bottels wyn in die sak". He nodded, later on wanted to know what kind of wine, since he may not give me the bag back :)

As always a trip to come in on that corkscrew landing. This time was particularly severe and I remember noting to the rather large British PSD sitting next to me that whoever was flying this plane had an incredible handle on the aircraft. Let's just say a small jet is not supposed to be able to do what a Cessna does - turns out it's a female pilot.

At BIAP I breezed through the visa line (gotto love the Dip passport) only to be harassed by a cleaning boy in the ladies room who decided he had the right to stroke my arm when I didn't have money to give him for using the disgusting toilet. Almost had ourselves a little diplomatic incident, so I just left.

Somehow I managed to get on a Helo (again), with three paintings and all. Incredibly enough so far, every time when I come back from somewhere with too much luggage I inadvertently run into someone I know, this time was no different, the nice Colonel who is my spinning instructor on Tues and Thursday mornings was very kind to help me haul the paintings on and off the helo. (hey! If I'm going to be living in the place where all civilization started, I am going to have something to show for it!)

Today is hot, hot, hot - I'm trying to catch up and read through the 250 emails I have piled up, but first, I think we'll head to the pool for a few hours. I have lots to tell and talk about, stay tuned (photos too).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan
Thanks for relaying all the news about Amman and telling us how you managed to land safely with all your luggage. After all, you always had a knack for packing too much stuff since you were very young! Am looking forward to see everything one day.

Love, take care, and thanks for phoning me on Mothersday.

Love
Mamma from SA

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan
Thanks for relaying all the news about Amman and telling us how you managed to land safely with all your luggage. After all, you always had a knack for packing too much stuff since you were very young! Am looking forward to see everything one day.

Love, take care, and thanks for phoning me on Mothersday.

Love
Mamma from SA