Monday, May 08, 2006

The Amman Art Scene

Amman, Jordan to me, used to be a city with bad airline connections (flights inadvertently arrive and depart between 01:30 and 04:00) where I get to spend a night on the government's dime in a five star hotel with a bathtub and a fabulous breakfast. Yesterday however, I got to see another side of this city, which is truly a place worth visiting on its own merits.

After our conference today (more to follow later), my boss decided to "initiate" me into the art scene of Amman. We started at "The Gallery" in the Inter Continental Hotel where we had our conference to promote Information and Communications Technology alliances between international and Iraqi firms. Here I was introduced to the art of Mohanna Durra, pretty much the Michelangelo of Jordan from what I could gather. Of course, I fell in love with a 1975 charcoal portrait he did...[let's see, how to convince Chris it's an "investment" and "our kids will go to college someday because of this..."] hehe.

We then went to the best craft/textile/rug/antique/pottery - just BEST store ever, and I've seen my share of Souks, markets, bazaars, flea markets, shops and stands... this was good, and I mean good. Ahmed, the incredibly friendly and helpful owner knows each and every piece. He also knows my boss well enough to know exactly what she would like. He has a two story gallery of textiles, rugs, pottery, jewelry, silver, bronze, wood work, furniture, chests, pillowcases, bead work, Bedouin art, clothing - you name it, he has it. All original, all known to him. It was, to say the least, heaven to be in there. I bought an 80-year old Bedouin "storage sack" which Bedouins stuffed and then slung over the camels during their treks, as well as a 60-70 year old rug and a coffee grinder (as in big and manual) of around the same time period.

At the next gallery, 4-walls, located inside the Sheraton, I fell in love with two more Mohanna Durra and I realize that I have to buy one of his pieces. Born in 1938 Mr. Durra is not healthy and he is not producing much lately. What is more, he does not do portraits anymore at all, therefore I am thinking that I might have to burden myself with a portrait of the great Jordanian master.

Stay tuned to see if I end up with a painting...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan
Seems like you are doing a lot of shopping while you are over there! Hope I am getting some of it!

Love
Mamma from SA

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan
Seems like you are doing a lot of shopping while you are over there! Hope I am getting some of it!

Love
Mamma from SA