Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Long overdue...

...I was reminded by a friend yesterday that it has been far too long since I last wrote. I do apologize to all of you for neglecting the writing, and in particular the photographs that I know you enjoy even more than my blabbering about work and the heat in Mazar.

Alas, I have been extremely busy with new projects and a lot of traveling between bases, which subsequently resulted in a few uninvited friends taking up residence in my tummy. After a host of blood and other tests, the German Diagnostic Center in Kabul confirmed what I suspected....parasite. Only, there was not one, nope - I manage to get four. With a suitcase full of antibiotics and a very unpredictable stomach I set off once again for Mazar e-Sharif.

I am excited to report that we have finally broken ground on a Cultural Center in Mazar e-Sharif that has been in the pipeline since 2005. Additional new projects include a Safe Play Area funded by UNICEF - essentially a play park for children who are at a high risk of injury by unexploded ordinance (UXO) - including land mines. You may recall I mentioned that Afghanistan remains one of the most heavily mined countries in the world, and all along the highways in the provinces, one can see the painted rocks placed by de-mining organizations to warn residents and vehicles about the potential threat.

For the next few days I am in Kabul to meet with a variety of donors and partner agencies. It is always nice to spend a few days with Chris and I find it recharges me for the extended (average of three weeks) periods that we find ourselves in different locations. I also have the opportunity to go to the clinic to see whether any of my friends have checked out of the Bacteria B&B in my stomach.

To make up for my extended absence, I share some of my favorite photos of the last few weeks with you.

A colleague in an agricultural field in Faryab Province, August 2007


Yes, Afghanistan is painful, but it can be breathtaking too.

Girl with loom, Faryab Province August 2007


No comments: