My Oupa decided to leave us on a wintry Sunday afternoon as the sun set prematurely over the thorny trees of Pretoria east. At 1640, six hours after I touched down from Kabul, he went peacefully and without fanfare, as he lived his eighty-six years here on earth. Present was his oldest son, my dad - and his oldest grandchild, myself. In true fashion he waited until we were discussing the engineering specifications of the latrines we are constructing in the returnee camps in Afghanistan. He is after all, an eternal engineer, like both his sons.
Some think he waited for me to arrive. I believe he waited for the right moment. I will arguably never be able to cork a great red wine without thinking of him for an instant, for he taught us all. I will cherish this moment, and his presence at the head of our family Sunday supper table, for ever, and will miss him deeply.
Tata Oupa.
Monday, June 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Susan
I am really sorry for your loss. Strongs to you and your family.
We have much in common: red wine, travel, books & Marie (she's my new neighbour). What you're doing around the world sounds amazing & useful. Is it possible for you to help me get there & do what you do?? It's time to give back to the universe that's given me plenty ...
from E
Susan,
I am sorry for your loss... You are a very strong person and have dealt with a lot over the past two years.. never doubt for a moment that you are doing the right thing. Chris and you will look back on this 10 years from now thinking WOW, I made a difference.
Keep up the great work and here is a great quote I LOVE:
Rocky Balboa: It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much can you take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Post a Comment