When I learned they released my shipment from customs, I did not wait around to schedule a delivery, instead I offered to drive to the airport and collect it myself. This was Friday, on Saturday morning I was on a 737 headed south toward Cape Town. Eager to get started on my thesis and to have the opportunity to reminisce and catch up. Here I stay in the most peaceful, gorgeous place of a good friend I met in the gym in Baghdad. A South African former member of the special forces, Marius became like a brother in our house in Baghdad as we shared a braai and bad Baghdad wine on an almost weekly basis. Today I am nestled in his restored home in the town of Kleinmond 1.5 hours up the coast from Cape Town in route to Hermanus. The enclosed porch is where I spend my days, research spread out across the entire dining table I watch the world go by outside my window. The Indian Ocean spread out like a blanket at my feet, a truly inspirational place to complete a research project.
[My workstation]
No comments:
Post a Comment